The Priddis name was based on mail delivery to and from the home of Charles Priddis. It used to be that the mail was left on his table within his home and each one sorted out his own. When a regular post office and mail service was requested, the authorities used the name Priddis as the mail was going to the Priddis shack and he was to be postmaster.
Charles Priddis was well educated and dedicated to children, he aided in the development of the Priddis School by donating land for the building and loaning his home for the first classes until the school was ready for use. He also donated pieces of land for the Priddis Farmers and Ranchers Hall and St. James United Church.
Many events have taken place over the years in Priddis and surrounding communities, and in 1914 most often they were based on sports events, such as polo and racing, hunting, and fishing, tennis, hockey and curling, cricket and football. The early settlers traveled great distances often by horseback and therefore a sports event could last more than the time it takes to play, even more than the time it takes to visit and picnic, it could very well last for days. Today the Priddis Community Hall is busier than ever with the hall in use EVERYDAY!
Mr. Charles Priddis was born in 1844 at London, England and died in 1921. He joined the gold rush to California in , as well as being in the Fenian Raids. He then went to Texas for fourteen years ranching, cotton growing as well as freighting. He came to Calgary with a C.P.R. survey crew, probably as a wrangler and packer as he was not a surveyor. In 1881 he was detailed to winter the animals for the survey crew of the C.P.R. In 1883 he took part in the Rebellion and returned to his homestead the NE 1/4 22-22-3-W5th. Mrs. Priddis and their four children remained at London, Ontario. She opened a dry goods and grocery store and took up a farm on the outskirts of London. Charles donated the land for the Priddis school as well as loaning his home for classes until the school was completed. He also donated land for the Priddis Farmers and Ranchers hall and St. James church.
Priddis Postal History
Screenshots pulled from Postal History Canada.